About Me

My photo
A few devotional thoughts from a student of Jesus.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

A challenge...

Adoption....I've been thinking about it a lot lately, and no...not because of "Bragelina". I have always thought about adoption. When I was a kid I tried every so often to encourage my parents to adopt... as I grew older and they grew older, I figured maybe someday I would adopt. There was even a time several years ago when I looked into it a little. But I was really unsettled just then and it seemed absolutely impossible.... so I just gave it up completely and to be honest I hadn't thought about it for a long time.
Lately however, I've been looking around me and seeing just how much we have. we're pretty spoilt.

Technically, based on my income this year, I'm living below the poverty line. But I am by no means poor. I have a roof over my head. A room all to myself in fact. I've been able to buy new clothes and shoes, eat out at restaurants, have parties, go to the movies, make payments on my car, pay for petrol that is ever increasing in cost. I've even been able to save money for things I've really wanted... like my beautiful new laptop. I've had money I could designate to chairties without being a charity case myself. I'm rich!


Then I look at those who can't even imagine a room as large as mine for only one person. It could definitely fit a family...maybe two smaller ones :D

They couldn't imagine a person paying a months worth of wages for a meal they don't even finish... and they may count themselves lucky that they have some sort of work... and their children aren't actually dying of starvation. They can afford the tin needed to fix their roof and their children are able to attend school!


So what about those with even less in these countries? What about the orphans and widows? What about those that suffer from not only estreme poverty, but extreme neglect. Children in orphanages in Romania, China, Russia, Etheopia...


Last night I watched a program on feral children. Children who, due to neglect, were unable to live normal lives.... they would never be able to speak because neglect affects the area of the brain that enables speech. They showed a cross section of the brain in a normal 3 year old child, and one of a 3 year old feral (extremely neglected) child -it was shocking. The feral childs brain had areas so affected they literally died.


We have become callous don't you think? That we have provided a way for ourselves to be unaffected by stories and images of children who have nothing, not even attention. We argue our way out of an emotional response. We pat ourselves on the back for giving $35 a monthto a foster child or two and forget that we spend $100 a months on our own entertainment.


Some of us are proud of the fact that we have a relationship with Christ, but managed not to become 'religious'. But here's the thing. If we love God, if we gives our lives over to Him, His will, His leading... then we need to be religious as He defines religion.


"True religion and undefiled is this, to take care of the widows and the orphans in their affliction."


I am positive this does not mean we give when asked, but rather, that we seek out ways to take care of them. Not only offering them some financial assitance, but making sure they are not neglected on a relational level as well.


Adoption, I believe should be playing a bigger part in this. A caring orphanage is no substitue for a caring home. It's fine and good for us to be giving to these charities, making sure that they have immunizations and food, and shelter. What about compassion, what about love, what about a sense of belonging... what about an understanding of a father and/or mothers love?

For many there are policies in place to ensure they have enough to sustain their lives, but for a variety of reasons, including overcrowding, a shortage of workers, etc... they still suffer from neglect.


At Breakforth, David Nassar, in the last talk of the Conference gave this challenge. 'If you have a spare room, a spare part of a room, a spare space in your basement - consider adoption. For many children in these places your worst is a huge step up from their best. If adoption is impossible for you in your present situation find out if there is someone who could adopt if they had a little financial assitance and assist them!' It was strange but he wasn't the only one saying these things that weekend. In so many of the seminars I attended it seemed to be a common theme...and I think it has been a common thread throughout my life. Now I feel I need to address it. I need to spend some time in concentrated prayer asking God how He wants me to be involved in this. I put the challenge to you too! Think about it. Pray about it.

2 comments:

Keller said...

That is a hefty challenge--and an important one. The thrall of materialism weighs heavily upon our backs. It shouldn't, but it often does. I'm writing on my daily prayer list to pray for you regarding this matter. I know God will guide your decision.

Glad to hear the book is coming along nicely.

melodochka said...

Adoption is pretty complicated. The paper work involved and interviews/home checks involved is more complicated than legally immigrating to another country, and I thought that was hard. And compare that to the amount of effort it takes not to get pregnant! I am very in favour of adoption mind you, and its something we have thought about and are still considering. What the world needs is more people who are experts in helping families wade through the process, and reminders that it is all so worth it. I have a feeling that that is something God is leading you to become.