About Me

My photo
A few devotional thoughts from a student of Jesus.

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Pity the Fool

So I have been thinking a bit about pity lately... Probably because for me it's an easy emotion - not that I necessarily do anything about it, but I can easily feel pity. I have been reading "the Great Divorce" again, and noticed something that I obviously hadn't the first time (although how can I be sure I read it first almost 10 years ago)... here's a little quote.I'll translate to more modern english for those of you who hate thees and thous and ye's
"But can a person dare say that pity must ever die?""You must distinguish. The action of Pity will live forever; but the passion of Pity will not. The Passion of Pity, the pity we merely suffer, the ache that draws men to concede what should not be conceded and to flatter when they should speak truth, the pity that has cheated many a woman out of her virginity and many a statesman out of his honesty - that will die. It was used as a weapon by bad men against good ones: their weapon will be broken"

It's made me think of times I have willingly flattered out of pity instead of truth. Or shown kindness to someone who was really manipulating with pity. The outcome in the end being disgust and a loathing of that person. Even knowing that they were using pity as a manipulation I allowed myself to be manipulated. I think because it seemed like in order to love you must.

But that seems so naive now. It wasn't love... it was pride. I wanted to be looked on as kind or responsible or freindly or good. It was me worrying about my own reputation that down deep allowed that manipulation. How much kinder to speak the truth in love. To refuse the manipulation in favor of being able to actually love the person later, and not be hemmed in and controlled by them. I think I can still be a sucker to emotional manipulation, because sadly sometimes a love for a person and a love of reputation can keep me from taking a tougher less desirable role.Anyway... I'm still just mulling all this over. Maybe you have it all figured out. The whole turning the first moment of pity into positive action guided by the Holy Spirit. If so tell me how - there has to be some magical formula to all this, that will make me have the compassionate heart of God without being a willing victim of a perverted Pity. lol.

15 comments:

Janice said...

sometimes it's not that one wants to be seen as a kind person, but that one doesn't want to hurt another's feelings?

Anonymous said...

Pity the FOO!

Justin N said...

Like woah.

shinbone #4 said...

lookie here my three favorite commentors all on the same comments page.
you know Janice I wrote a long comment to you this morning at work (during recess) and when I went to publish it said page not found, so I hit back and it erased ALL of it GRRRRRR!!! Sassafrassa rassa grrr

Janice said...

oh grace. well thanks for the attempt, i suppose, and the real comment you left me on mine. yes we should have talked more. i remember good times in the thomas flat after your "date" stealing brownies and laughing at lauren. and that time you cut my bangs. that was awesome. you're a keeper. we should hang out.

Anonymous said...

"Date"? What date is that? Janice please tell all.

shinbone #4 said...

Dear Boyfriend...I mean Sweetums ;D
I am SO glad you're jealous - but did you notice the " " around date... that shows clearly it can't have been a real date *sigh*.
I wish there was something to be jealous over but it was all so innocent - a few guys paid to have dinner with a friend and I - they won us in an auction, right Janice!!
See... innocent!! (ish)

Anonymous said...

Grace; We haven't heard in so long. How goes the petition for Pentastics? You never did say whether they accepted you yet?

shinbone #4 said...

Those Pentastics are falling apart on the job!! They haven't entered a new blog in forever, and they never did get back to me... I am still in mild suspense :D
I think they never took the Pentastics as seriously as I did! Which is why I think as of today I shall vote myself their new "el presidente"

Anonymous said...

I second that nomination! Even if I have no voting rights. I think you would make a great el presidente. And if one of the original 3 Pentastics should veto that decision, you could always start your own group...maybe the Penciltastics!!!

Anonymous said...

I second that nomination! Even if I have no voting rights. I think you would make a great el presidente. And if one of the original 3 Pentastics should veto that decision, you could always start your own group...maybe the Penciltastics!!!

Anonymous said...

I second that nomination! Even if I have no voting rights. I think you would make a great el presidente. And if one of the original 3 Pentastics should veto that decision, you could always start your own group...maybe the Penciltastics!!!

Anonymous said...

Apparently I third and fouth the nominations, too. I'm not sure how my comment got into your posting 3 times. Could that be a sign that you are supposed to be a pentastic?

shinbone #4 said...

wow... you are a responsible voter... and committed! I applaud you sir, and/or maam - I don't believe your identity has ever been revealed, has it?? I may have missed that one somehow.
I don't know about penciltastics if pentastics sue me or something... it sounds a bit administrative and responsible, trust me that's not the kind of image I want to portray as el presidente... So I may need to go for something altogether different, like "Fantasmicos" or the "I heart myself's" catchy wouldn't you say??

Anonymous said...

Very catchy. But if the club is "I heart myself", then would everyone in the club heart only themselves, or would they heart everyone else in the club as well? If it is the latter, then would it be better to call yourselves the "We heart ourselves"?