About Me

My photo
A few devotional thoughts from a student of Jesus.

Monday, January 22, 2007

Apocalypto

I just want you all to know! I give this movie 25 stars.
Loved it... wasn't what I expected at all.
What it was:
*A lot less "Hollywood" than I thought it would be.
*Follows the life of the man pictured above. "Almost"
*Had subtitles for beginners
(in other words, slow enough that you had plenty of time
to read them and still catch all the action)
* a little predictable towards the end, but not in a bad way
*pretty gory I guess, but not in a horror movie sort of way,
more like the Braveheart sort of way
(the kind I am a fan of, to be honest)
*It's almost like sneaking a peak at someones life.
If it wasn't so action packed it could have been reality show-ish at times.
*totally engrossing!
If you don't mind a little violence and are no child - Go see this movie. You'll laugh, you'll jump out of your seat, you'll sit down again and sigh - it's that good!

5 comments:

E's Blogger said...

Did you read the BBC article that Mayan descendents were protesting the film citing that the film was giving a bad image to their culture? Mel Gibson responded that it was written with anthropologists for historical accuracy.

Interesting eh?

Anonymous said...

Hey Grace! It sounds like a great movie! Also, we saw Big Fish last night and it wasn't all that bad the second time through (although, it still doesn't make my top ten list... sorry boys!) J-J! Although I did like the whole idea that truth is not necessarily based on mere facts and observations, but can be discovered in stories (they can provide meaning and significance). Also, let me know how things are going! Miss yah, Lena

Andrew Newman said...

I also thought that the movie was great...kudos to you Grace Eibert!!!

shinbone #4 said...

hahaha oh Lena! Glad you enjoyed it more the second tie round. What did Brent think??
Maybe I'll call you tomorrow... at least I shall try.
xx's G

Pasha said...

Hi Grace,

I wrote my own review on In One Ear, my lesser blog. I thought the movie was out of this world. It was zero Hollywood. I have also heard that people are protesting the movie. It seems after Mel Gibson put out Passion of the Christ that there are many people who hate him and want to pull him down. But, I would expect that he would have got anthroplogists to help him.
The movie is still sinking in for me. It was too brilliant to give it a rating I feel. A rating just puts it in the same category as other movies. This movie and the Passion of the Christ do not deserve to be categorised with other movies.